Towards Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
The Olympic Games return to Tokyo, Japan, in 2021 and it promises to be a sensational Games. Not only does Australia have the defending women’s champion in Chloe Esposito, she could again be joined by her brother Max who was seventh at Rio 2016. However, past results mean nothing so they will need to perform in the qualifying period.
After the COVID-19 Coronavirus forced its postponement, the Games will now take place in the capital city of Japan from 23 July to 8 August 2021. The Modern Pentathlon schedule has been finalised too with the event now scheduled for 5 August to 7 August 2021.
Thursday 5 August | 13:00 – 19:30 | Musashino Forest Sport Plaza
- Women’s Fencing Ranking Round
- Men’s Fencing Ranking Round
Friday 6 August | 14:30 – 20:15 | Tokyo Stadium
- Women’s Swimming
- Women’s Fencing Bonus Round
- Women’s Riding Show Jumping
- Women’s Laser Run
- Women’s Victory Ceremony
Saturday 7 August | 14:30 – 20:15 | Tokyo Stadium
- Men’s Swimming
- Men’s Fencing Bonus Round
- Men’s Riding Show Jumping
- Men’s Laser Run
- Men’s Victory Ceremony
Qualification (as at 28 April 2020 – Reference)
- 2019 UIPM World Cup Final – Tokyo (JPN) – One (1) quota place will be allocated to the highest placed athlete of the UIPM World Cup Final
- Continental Championships – 20 quota places will be allocated to athletes achieving the following places at the respective Continental Championships to be held during the period 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2019. For Oceania – 1 st place will qualify.
- 2019 UIPM World Championships – Three (3) quota places will be allocated to the three (3) highest placed athletes at the 2019 UIPM World Championships unless previously qualified through the 2019 UIPM World Cup Final or Continental Championships in which case the quota place(s) will be allocated to next highest ranked athlete(s) on the UIPM Olympic World Ranking List of 14 June 2021.
- 2021 UIPM World Championships Three (3) quota places will be allocated to the three (3) highest placed athletes at the 2021 UIPM World Championships unless previously qualified in which case the quota place(s) will be allocated to next highest ranked athlete(s) on the UIPM Olympic World Ranking List of 14 June 2021.
- UIPM Olympic World Ranking List of 14 June 2021 www.pentathlon.org/world-ranking Six (6) quota places will be allocated via the UIPM Olympic World Ranking List as at 14 June 2021 to the first six (6) athletes not already qualified through the above competitions.
Tokyo 2020 Venues
At Tokyo 2020 the Fencing ranking round will be held at Musashino Forest Sport Plaza. And then all remaining events for the Women and Men will be held in the Tokyo Stadium. This is the first time in Olympic history that all disciplines are held in the one venue. Tokyo Stadium is in the Heritage Zone cluster, named as the region where several legacy venues from the 1964 Games will be utilised. Tokyo Stadium will also host the Football and Rugby competitions.
Promotional Video of Tokyo 2020 Olympic Venues
Countdown to Tokyo 2020