In light of the on-going restrictions and recently heightened risk relating to the COVID pandemic, it is with great regret that MPA has made the difficult decision to postpone the 2021 National Championships, originally scheduled to be held in Melbourne on 27 & 28 March.

We understand that this will come as a great disappointment to many members, as we are highly aware of the need to come together and to provide our athletes with a goal and an opportunity to compete. Ultimately though safety considerations and risk analysis must come first, alongside the logistical deadlines and operational requirements to stage an event such as this.

For these reasons, MPA and the local organising committee have made this decision based on the complex situation we are currently in including what we are seeing more and more of, and that is travel restrictions and quarantine rrequirements made at very short notice. 

As some form of ‘replacement’ though MPA intends to work with each State Association to host a Tetrathlon (Fencing, Swim, Laser-Run) or even just a Swim and Laser-Run competition within their home states on the same scheduled dates as an alternative. Our aim is that this will be nationally coordinated with some virtual national presentations held on the weekend also. Event details will be distributed as soon as possible. 

We fully understand that this decision will be devastating for many who have been preparing for some time but we must remember that this is an uncertain time for all of us, our community, our country and indeed the entire world, and we will get through this together. 

We need to stay strong in the knowledge that if there is one thing that sport and all your training equips you for, more than most, is showing resilience. 

It certainly is MPA’s intention to do everything possible to stage the Australian Championships, or similar event, later in the year to best align with our athlete’s preparation, tentatively earmarked for October or November. Our National Performance Training Camp scheduled in April will also be postponed to another date (tentatively Sept/Oct) to support alignment with best preparing our athletes for international competition. 

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and disappointment that may result from the event’s postponement.